Saturday 16 December 2023

Letter 8 of 23: Reconciliationville

Hey 2023,

How you doing?! 


Here we go again. It’s Reconciliation Day in South Africa and the tradition on the blog is to head to Reconciliationville. 



This post is always challenging. Reconciliation is a very tricky space because it’s usually not in isolation to others. Could this be the year where I decide to bring my squabbles and quarrels with others to this space? Nope. Not because I’m not a Cruella in some version out there. Not because I haven’t been on the receiving end of unkindness. I don’t bring them on here because I’m comfortable with whichever version is doing the rounds. Conflicts are personal and private. They belong to private circles. The minute they become public, that foundation was shaky to even begin with. 


So 2023, let’s talk about my own battles on your timeline. Did I say battles? Nope. I’m not that brave. Let’s stick to one battle: health. 


Fam, if you know me you know that hospitals are my least favourite places. I don’t like it there. I was there so many times this year. Got pricked so many times. At some point you could have sworn that I’m on something. Homegirl even did a stint in the ICU. Long story short - the underground gang just wasn’t ready for me. 


Reconciling with health woes is difficult. Healing is hard - especially when you’re an anomaly. Some days you’re excited about the progress. Some days things just don’t make sure. On other days you feel like the scars give you street cred. On other days your system is just set on call me phunyuka bempethe. Jonga, that famous trio aren’t my homegirls but I can boldly say: I’m a survivor! 😂🙌🏽


No. I’m not ready to publicly talk about what was wrong. Not today anyway. I might wake up tomorrow and do a tell-all…not lol. I guess I can just say my health wasn’t top notch this year. It sucked but I’m much better now. Project gain weight was affected by this but, we try again next year. I’m just reconciling with the pain and helplessness of not being well.


I’ve healed. I’m healing. I’ll continue healing…


No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam