Sunday 10 December 2023

Letter 2 of 23: Wishy Washy

Good morning 2023, 

To say that you began on a wishy washy note would be an understatement. I didn’t even know whether to say “happy new year” or “stop die lorrie”.





I felt like I blinked and December 2022 was over. The only evidence left of its festivity was the fatigue. Januworry was staring at me like its usual five months in one would be ten this year. I was also licking my wounds from not completing the 2022 epistolary as planned. 


My phone got damaged almost exactly a year ago and my world went upside down. I was not even on home soil when it happened. That smallanyana device had a lot on it. Contacts, memories, screenshots, notes…reminders, birthdays…did I mention screenshots? 


If you’re reading this and wondering why I didn’t back up stuff - I did. And somehow lost it all over again. Don’t ask how. Just pretend like we’re in a Man in Black movie and Will Smith just made you forget. Salt gets added to my wound each time someone asks. 


My point, 2023, is that I began your timeline at the backdrop of this loss. It took that phone to get damaged for me to notice it was like a limb. I literally went into an involuntary detox and the withdrawal was real. 


That experience made me realise just how unique “loss” is as an experience. That and just how unexpected, and also unwanted at times, clean slates are. 


Knowing everything I know - I needed that reset button. Did I want it? Definitely not like that. Would I have had a hibernation like I did if this hadn’t happened? Nope. Am I grateful? The politically correct answer would be: yes. The honest truth is that I’m learning to. Gratitude has many shades and we experience them differently over and over again…

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam