Sunday 31 December 2023

Letter 21 of 23: Things I can’t change

Good day 2023,


Yeah no. You’re not disappointing. Today is really going by quickly. 



Let’s reflect on one of my themes for this year: things I can’t change. I borrowed a line from the serenity prayer. Yho! If I rock up with a theme like “go with the flow” next year, blame it on this theme. 


It showed me flames fam. We’re almost done with this year and it’s still on full blast. Awe ma! This theme hit me so hard I’ve started to even doubt if I know the meaning of the word “accept”. 


I have a list of things that I can’t change. An entire list. At the surface they seem to be “changeable”. When you zoom in, there are just layers upon layers of complexity. I struggled (read I’m struggling) with this theme. No lies! 


What’s weird about “things you can’t change” is how everyone else seems to have quick fixes. Quick fixes that don’t suite you. No matter how hard you try, you can’t relate to them or make them fit. I mean you tuck in your tummy and go around for a while. Forbid you chuckle or even have one good meal…you’re back to feeling squeezed and suffocated. Then you end up realising it’s things “I” can’t change and not things “we” can’t change. 


This theme has been so complex. I’ve been wrestling with it the whole year and my conclusion is…I don’t have to forcibly accept the things I can’t change. I have the right to be annoyed, and frustrated for as long as I should. I have the responsibility, however, to ensure I don’t become toxic to the other parts of me that need me whole… 

1 comment:

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam