Tuesday 12 December 2023

Letter 4 of 23: Loliwe

 Hello 2023,


Not a very good morning. Woke up to the news that Zahara has passed on. I feel numb. Doesn’t help that the weather is cloudy and gloomy…


You know that place you go to when you hear about someone’s passing while your brain is trying to process the news? It’s usually the last memory, a unique memory shared or the realisation that there won’t be another memory. That’s all there was. I didn’t know her on a personal level - not that this qualifies or disqualifies my grief - so my memory is of her performing. 


For some odd reason, Loliwe is the only song that’s on my mind. Stuck there. On repeat…the melody, the texture of her voice, the correct lyrics and yes, my own version of the lyrics. I tend to do that. When I enjoy the music so much, okay, maybe this sentence should be…when the song has been on repeat so many times, the brain finds a way to cope. So Loliwe to me has “Loliwe, Loliwe girl…why did you lie?” lyrics. That’s my truth and I’m standing by it. lol 😂 


Curious. Very curious that I’m here wishing that they were lying and that you are not gone. Even more curious that it’s on that very song that you’re saying that we should wipe our tears. 


I have a pretty good idea that today will be spent ducking and dodging any other potential triggers that may come up. Death, you win again…


Fly on high sisi. You forever be a blessing. Ndiyathemba uba uhlezi phezulu eNkosini (I hope that you are with the Lord)…

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam