Tuesday 19 December 2023

Letter 10 of 23: Kuyabongwa

 Good day 2023, 


If this reflection had to have a soundtrack it would definitely be Kuyabongwa by Chubby Cheeks.



You know how they place emphasis on “please”, “thank you” and “sorry” when you’re growing up? I’ll be honest, I didn’t get how pedantic they used to be. Like do I really don’t get to keep the sweet if I don’t say thank you? Must every request be accompanied by please? Let’s not go to sorry lol. Does it even matter if I didn’t start the fight? Oh, and, what’s this clause that I shouldn’t just say “sorry”? What’s this business that I should also mean it? Looking back, I went through a lot as a child yazi lol. 


Okay. Jokes aside. I think I got to understand, and appreciate, the value of these lessons as the years went by. Nobody is obliged to give you things. Kindness shown is best accompanied by gratitude. Please isn’t only polite but, it shows consideration. As for sorry…deny your ego sometimes. Just deny it. 


Because adulting is adulting and the grey area is there, I guess you also get to see and accept the other side of this coin. Sometimes please is a mere formality, thank  you can be dashed in sarcasm and sorry can really be just the five letters combined. 


Today I’m just stuck on how thankful I am for so many things this year. I’m thankful for my community. I’m thankful for my tribe. I’m thankful for my companionship with courage. That home girl has held my hand so tightly this year and refuses to let go. I’m thankful for each and every time I wasn’t too preoccupied by challenging experiences to not notice my blessings. 


I’m thankful for each time God has proved me right…and wrong. I’m thankful for each time I was kind to myself and  unapologetic about my boundaries. 


I’m just thankful that you weren’t all bad 2023…

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam