Monday 11 December 2023

Letter 3 of 23: Unsubscribing

Hi 2023, 


How are you on this argh Monday morning ? 


Yes. I still don’t like Mondays. This hasn’t changed on your timeline. I must say though…you did spoil me with many Mondays where I didn’t have to Monday. I could just pretend like we were on Sunday 2.0 and go about my life. That period was bliss.





My beef with Monday won’t end anytime soon. If a person could subscribe to the days of the week, I’d be on the line to unsubscribe to Monday. Yhooo what a day…


Even though we can’t always get what we want, life sometimes gifts us with things we can get and treasure. This year, I hit the unsubscribe button to a page I subscribed to for the longest time: the Mbokodo hood. In South Africa we have a saying: you strike a woman, you strike a rock. I won’t get into the politics of this but this year I accepted I’m no rock and this is what I put together…


No mbokodo me 


If there’s anything that adulting has taught me is that I’m no “Mbokodo”. 

I’m an egg. 

I’m a marshmallow. 

I’m silk. 

I have no urge to hold the knife where it’s the sharpest.

I’m no rock.

I’m soft. 

I’m the s’kang atamela tsotsi type. 

My strength is no open invitation to oppression, discrimination, danger or hardships. 

I’m no “Mbokodo”! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam