Sunday 19 December 2021

Letter 9 - Ok'salayo

 Happy Sunday 2021,


I come on a very peaceful note this morning. You know Sundays are my favourite days of the week. After Fridays of course. But still. I'm easy like a Sunday morning...




Let's dedicate today to the Ok'salayo moments on your timeline. If we're being honest, since it's Sunday and all, your balance is on the negative side of things. Luckily for you, on good days I'm those "the glass is half full wethu" type of people.

If you're from my corner of the globe, you're familiar with Ok'salayo used as a proverb on the streets. If you're not, worry not, I got you. Ok'salayo is in isiZulu. A direct translation of it means what remains. On the streets, however, this is what they mean:

"Regardless of all facts presented before me, I reiterate that my misinformed, obscure perspective is still valid whether you like it or not."

Remember the fitness journey I mentioned the other day? It's a tricky one fam. There are days when you are on top of it. Then there are days that show you flames. I normally do the 5K but if I go on a break for long, 2K feels like 20K. Then those oksalayo moments come in. Regardless of my legs failing me...I push on until the finish line.

The Ok'salayo card is one of my favourite cards to pull during debates. It's hilarious especially because it brings out so much humour that you even forget what the actual debate has been. Why can't we all just get along anyway?  Lol.

I could  list other examples but the main highlight has been the revelation that God's love is a consistent ok'salayo. This has brought stillness and calmness when your timeline was unpleasant and unkind.

2021, You've schooled me on just how important these Ok'salayo moments are. Disappointments will come. Plans will change. Loss is inevitable. There will be days when you question your dreams. Ok'salayo...what remains is what you choose to remain...

4 comments:

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam