Tuesday 14 December 2021

Letter 4 - Humpty Dumpty

 Hi 2021,


Ugrand? Today let's talk about my Humpty Dumpty moments on your timeline. Okay. Maybe one. We don't want to be exposing me now. Do we? 



This was one of those nursery rhymes I didn't quite understand. I liked it though. I sang along too and just moved with the flow. Deep down I kept wondering who the chap really was. Why was he on the wall? How exactly do you fall from just "sitting"? I think I settled to him being an egg. When eggs are broken, nothing much can be done. In hindsight, why would they have us sing about a helpless situation? Could this be the fine print about adulting that I missed?

So I wasn't exactly sitting on the wall when I met my fate. I was "technically" walking down stairs. It was drizzling too. I was walking down the stairs, carrying a black plastic bag on each hand and...next thing I knew...I was at the bottom of the stairs...

If you're cracking right now, I forgive you. I've told this story so many times and people didn't believe me. Not until they saw my bruised leg and how dark it got over time.

In my defence, I had received my second vaccination shot and the side effects were at peak. I was just in denial of the fact that I still needed to rest. That denial cost me street cred. I won't get into the comments from anti vaxxers. Yer!

There were no King's horses or King's men when I had my great fall. Nope. Just the stairs and those black plastic bags that I couldn't just leave there and go sulk.

Life is also like that. We won't believe that you're wounded. Not because we don't sympathise. We do. There are just some things that you go through alone. Only the scars will be left to help you tell the tale.

2021, you've served quite a number of these Humpty Dumpty moments. Ones I can joke about. Ones that I can't bring myself to think about without getting emotional. Ones I'd rather never relive. You've served them enough for me to be glad that I ain't no Humpty Dumpty...

4 comments:

  1. The Humpty Dumpty moments that you’ve experienced alone…they get you so emotional that even when you open up about them (because you need to release the “emotional tension”), you can’t tell the story properly for the next person to fully get the emotional strain/scar that came with the experience.

    Silapha nje it’s because of some of those experiences. How we deal with the experiences and scars that came with such experiences though - is very crucial for me. Otherwise things will happen to us all the time. They say “everything happens for a reason”…

    Anyway, I loved this Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So profound. Unyanisile Nangamso. Silapha nje is because of those experiences.

      I'm glad that you loved it. I appreciate that you are on this journey with me.

      Delete
  2. So far, this is my favorite so far, it is so deep and may have different meanings to different people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol really Taky? I would have never imagined that this would be your favourite.

      It was one of the difficult ones to write because of the depth.

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam