Friday 24 December 2021

Letter 14 - Me and Mkhovisto

 Hola 2021,


Ugrand? It's Friyay. Let's do a flashback Friday relfection today.


My parents, like so many, liked sending us to run errands and chores. There were ones I jumped to. There were once I made excuses not to do. Then there were ones I tried to wish away too. They didn't go away. I dragged my feet and got them done. Between you and I, 2021, that's when I started doubting the legitimacy of this "make a wish" business. It didn't exactly happen as it did on TV.

Fast forward to your timeline when Mkhovisto decided to pay me a visit. Just before my letters. Yer! Mkhovisto is one of the nicknames that we South Africans have given to Covid-19. Yeep. It's what we do here.We manage to find humour in every situation. If a silver lining should be found, send us to locate it. I used to be proud of this trait. Now, the mere thought of it overwhelms me because I know it masks so much trauma. Sigh.

I've been dragging my feet with this reflection. I've wished having to write about it away. I've been conflicted about how to approach it. I've also just been going around in circles while reflecting. Bear with me.

I tested positive for Covid-19 earlier this month. It's weird how it happened during the Omnicron conversation. I tested positive right when some parts of the world were reminding Africa just how little they regard her. Nothing new here. It just slaps a bit differently when you're part of the statistics. It's just also weird how it happened when I least expected it to. In all fairness, I thought that 2021 was done serving me heat. Heyi, was I wrong or was I wronger? Yeep, I was as wrongest as I could ever be.

The experience sucked. Wouldn't wish it on my least favourite person on this planet.

2021, I'm grateful that I discovered truths of my own or truths pertaining to me during this period. They're right when they say you should present early. They're right that during this time you need to be kind to yourself. They're right that being vaccinated helps. My symptoms didn't differ much from my vaccination side effects. They were just amplified. They're also right that each case is unique. So there aren't really much "one size fits all" solutions. I had to take each day as it came. I say each day like I was able to keep track. In the end, the medicine intake, and check ups, helped me keep track. You get my point though.

I'm thankful too for the gift of life and those who walk with us.

Dear anti vaxxer reading this: No. This isn't a paid advertisement. No. I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind. Yes, I vaccinated and still got it. Guess what? I may still get it again. Most importantly, yes, I may also have a microchip inside me already. I'm really counting on the system to go offline like it always does...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you overcame Linds, well I always knew you will defeat this mkhovisto thing, keep strong

    ReplyDelete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam