Saturday 25 December 2021

Letter 15 - Stomach in...

 Merry Christmas 2021,

"It's the most wonderful time of the year", they say. Remember I mentioned that this season is a bit different as an adult? Well, the adulting package comes with the awareness that this time of the year also comes with triggers, loss, rough patches and loneliness.


One of my themes for your timeline was "Stomach in...". The complete phrase is actually stomach in, chest out. If you completed it when you first read this, how are those back pains? Which home care routine do you follow for easing them? Lol.

This was such a mantra back in the day. I remember it was one of my elder cousins who taught it to us. Thinking back, even though she was laughing while she said it, it felt like she was passing down something to the next generation.

I had a feeling this theme would be tricky. It was exactly that and more. I got to question so much "truths" I grew up with. I got to question so many things which society deems as normal, while they aren't. I've outgrown parts of myself I never thought I would. I've also just learnt how much of a trap "Stomach in...chest out" is, especially this time of the year.

"Stomach in...chest out" is one of the enablers of people suffering in silence. It adds to people not feeling comfortable to speak about their pain. It creates the illusion that the grass is greener on the other side. It also just isolates us, even from those who would not turn their backs on us.

Sending love and light to those spending their first Christmas without a loved one, those who've had a rough financial year, to those who chose peace instead of triggers, to those who are alone and those working so hard to hide the heaviness of their hearts. This season will end...

To those who are happy and merry, I pray you hold on to that joy. May you spread it and bring hope to those who truly need it during this time.

2021, during your "stomach in, chest out" days I got to accept that pain and happiness are just like the sun and the moon. They are connected in a weird way. I've also accepted that it is okay to feel both at the exact time...

4 comments:

  1. Christmas, has damaged so many souls. During this time of the year so many are reminded that they are the 'have nots'. So many are reminded that they are orphans and so many experience domestic violence. It is during this time that so many chose intoxication to escape the realities.
    We choose to be merry but the wounds and ghosts of Christmas past are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more Lebo.

      I guess the consumerist factor of the day has, to some extent, detached us from the true meaning.

      As for the reminder of being "have nots" , it's like you were at my conversations with friends episode with Sifiso kast night.

      Tis the season 🤷🏽‍♀️

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam