Monday 20 December 2021

Letter 10 - Nostalgia

 Dear 2021,

How are you doing this morning? Monday ne. Yho. This day really needs a facelift. Maybe, just maybe that it becomes official that it should be a half day? Yes. No? Anyway, let's get down to business.




I'm putting today aside to reflect on nostagic moments on your timeline. I tend to be such a sucker for those moments. Thinking back to yesteryears. Moments that were so hilarious I  couldn't stop laughing. Moments that changed or shaped my perspective on certain issues. Moments when I had no care about the realities if this world.

One of the gifts the Covid-19 pandemic has blessed us with is the gift of keeping in touch. Through games, challenges and long video calls that have been like a lifeline. My participation in the challenges goes as far as watching them. The games, however, I played one or two. My favourite was when I asked friends on WhatsApp to send through comments if they wanted me to let them know which songs reminded me of them. It's a thing I do. I attach songs to memories I have with people. I bet I'm not the only person who does this. It makes life quite interesting. Adds so much colour.

If my childhood Christmas memories could have a soundtrack, it would be mostly Brenda Fassie. So many of her songs take me back there. Back to people I grew up with too. It's that time of the month when December is starting to feel like December. Only thing that sucks about the adulting package is that the Ts and Cs are in caps.

What is life without these nostalgic moments though? The trick about them though, is to snap quickly out of them and return to the present. People aren't who they used to be. I'm not who I used to be. That's just how life is.

If you've taught me anything, 2021, it's that one should seize the day. One should hold on to happy moments. One should bask in warmth as it happens. Reality is that as warm as nostalgia makes you feel, those moments belong to the past...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam