Thursday 30 December 2021

Letter 20 - Top 10 playlist

 What's good 2021? 

It's that time of the year. The race for the song of the year is on, the social calendars are packed and people are just in celebratory mode. Today's letter continues one of the long standing traditions on the blog. The playlist pays homage to songs that made the year more colourful.

I looooovvvveeee music. You've seen how I use it as a reference in my writing.  Love listening, love butchering lyrics and I love dancing to songs even more. The latter may not have many witnesses. I'm not bad shame. I think. For street cred reasons, however, wouldn't ask my family and friends to vouch for me. 

Music plays such an essential role on the healing journey. It's such an amazing companion. So many relationships I have with people are anchored on songs that remind me of them. 2021, I'm thankful that this is one of the things your timeline hasn't wrecked. It remains an anchor.

Putting this playlist together was a bit tricky. It's been such a big year for Amapiano. The genre deserves a standing ovation of it's own. Wow! If I wasn't careful, it was going to end up being a Yanos hit list. So, I ended up taking the "balance" route and while making my selection. 

Without further ado, get out your dancing shoes and let's have a party! Here is my top 10 playlist for 2021.

  1. Nobody - Malome Vector
    This song just makes me so nostalgic. Never mind that I almost mistook the music video location for one of the villages back home. Nobody takes me back to #FeesMustFall - the lighter side of things. It's beautiful to see representations of black love. 

  2. Mukutsuri - Brenden Praise ft. Mpho.Wav
    I liked this song even before I knew what it meant. Still don't know the full meaning. Still butcher the lyrics but, ok'salayo! Something about the way it moved me. Really enjoy jamming to this song. 

  3. Ghanama - Makhadzi ft. Prince Benza
    Heyi! 

  4. Siyathandana - Cassper Nyovest ft. Abidoza & Boohle
    Is there anyone who doesn't like this song? All the combos are communicating here. I've had it on replay so much. Low key reminded me of my self love journey and how home girl has "too much sauce". 

  5. Dream about you - Lloyiso
    Yhoooo. Lloyiso is so talented guyzini. This song is a dream on its own. Yes, pun intended and everything. It has such an old school feel, a soulful touch, and a futuristic element to it. Yeah no, this one is a winner. 

  6. Fire In The Ghetto - Kwesta ft. Troublle 
    Kwesta is a gift that keeps on giving. I've told my friends that his work moves me so much that I think one could write an entire thesis unpacking his genius. This is me putting it out to the universe. This song is proper heat - or whatever is said on the streets these days. 

  7. Adiwele - Young Stunna ft. Kabza De Small
    This one holds quite a few memories on the 2021 timeline. I guess it's a sound track to my stomach in moments. Ndifostile ke kulonyaka (I've forced my way this year). Here's to all those moments when I entered like an elephant...

  8. Asibe Happy - Kabza De Small & DJ Maphorisa ft. Ami Faku
    What a jam! It felt different each and every time I listened. I could go on the whole day about how it has touched and moved me. For the sake of this playlist, however, I'm reflecting on how I got to unlearn what I thought happiness was, redefine what happiness is and accept that these definitions will transition just as the seasons do...

  9. Impilo yase Sandton - Kwenyama Brothers & Mpura ft. Abidoza & Thabiso Lavish
    Ishuuuuuuu. My ultimate fighter this one. I've played this song so much that, if they could, they would have asked me for water. What a song! What a masterpiece! The lyrics! This song just encapsulates my relationship with Hope. 

  10. Osama - Zakes Bantwini & Kasango 
    I've been wondering how I would describe how this song makes me feel for a while now. Then a video of a little girl singing went viral. See how she is? That's exactly how I feel. This song is magic. It moves you. Yer! What Zakes and Kasango did here can never be undone. Ngeke. Hands down, without a doubt, my song of the year. Guys, this is my crossover song...oh hoo hoooooo

A standing ovation for all teams that put these killer jams together. Your work has made the 2021 load a lot lighter. Thank you for the music...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam