Sunday 27 December 2020

Letter 16/20

 Dear 2020, 


Sikwi last days ngoku! (We're on your final days!). Yes, I substituted last with final in the loose translation. isiXhosa just has that "thing" that English just can't capture.

It's your last Sunday 2020. It didn't feel like a Sunday at all. Sunday hasn't felt like Sunday in a very long time. It still remains my second favourite day of the week though. It's peaceful. It's "easy". Yes, Lionel raised us well. Sunday has a very calming effect that I can't describe. Mass brings joy. The naps are a mandatory tradition and they slap HARD! The only thing sad about a Sunday is that you're just closer and closer to the next day. The one that begins with M. Sigh! 




I haven't been to mass in a minute. This year takes the cup. It's been so frustrating. I must say, though, it was necessary and it couldn't have come at a better time. I've always heard the criticism towards Christianity that we do things out of routine and that we don't live the values. This has come up from introspection during prayer groups and people from other Faiths. It's true! While routine is good, it's dangerous when we lose touch. When routine falls out it is also as if we get out of balance. There's beauty in returning to the balance. You see your short comings. You understand scripture better. You become more compassionate to yourself and others. You miss being with others. You miss fellowship. It's a rollercoaster.

Something I've also had the chance to do, during this time, is to truly appreciate how different people are. To truly reflect on what it means to be a black, African and a Christian. To gain strength from other religions and their teachings. I think I've mentioned before that experiencing Ramadan changed my entire outlook on Lent. One of my meditation anchors taught me a thing or two about Buddhism. Most Atheists I know have remarkable values. I've learnt so much about protecting my energy and lessons from the universe from those who believe in astrology or choose to not confirm. My experiences with African spirituality, especially during this time, deserve an epistolary of its own! Why can't we all just get along? I guess we're too focused on being the "better" or the "best" or the "only" truth.

2020, thank you for helping me redefine who I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam