Friday 18 December 2020

Letter 7/20

 Hola 2020! 


Can't believe that our conversation is already at the 7th letter. Time flies ne!

The number 7 has always signified perfection or all things good in my life. I guess for me it's been about the seven gifts of the holy spirit. How one of my favourite Kwaito artists is attached to the number. How cool the name sounds in my mother tongue, isiXhosa. There was also a hang out spot back home where everyone would go to and the unofficial yet popular name was Kwa 7. Yes, everyone except for those of us who lived in Robben Island. Boy, did I envy those free souls who were allowed to go! 7 also holds a special significance in one of my close friendship circles. The Top 7 entry for my birthday might have been inspired by my love for this number. So I think you get it that the number is just one of those things I've attached symbolism to.

Okay wait. One more attachment to the number. 2020, do you know why 6 is afraid of 7? Lol. One of the funniest jokes you'll ever hear! 😂



From all the seven days of the week, Friday happens to be my favourite. I love FriYays! Sundays being my second favourite. There's just something about Friday man. So the 7th letter landing on a Friday is no coincidence. As Elsa Majimbo would put it: "It is NOT a mistake! It is NOT".

While seven signifies perfection, 2020, your experiences and adventures have reemphasized the lesson that perfection is an illusion. At the end of the day, we measure our experiences by how much self kindness we have in our cups and gratitude for opportunities. Gratitude for those opportunities that we are granted. Gratitude for those opportunities that we miss. I think this is one of those constant reminders that ground one in this adulting gig.

Not all my Fridays were joyous this year. Some didn't even feel like Friday. I've had to put out fires on some, go the extra mile to locate the yay to my Friyay and just wish we could skip to Saturday already on some. I think I've slept through some of them too. A few years ago this would have weighed me down. Not this version of me. I'm grateful for the rain, 2020.

Today has been one of the best Friyays. I stayed in bed longer. Meditation left me lighter. I've enjoyed the company of loved ones. I busted a move or two to some music. The holiday season has finally kicked in and the days are starting to feel the same but...TGIF! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam