Monday 21 December 2020

Letter 10/20

 What's good 2020? 


Wait, do people still say that? Or is there something else that's popular on the streets? I ask because some of these things are age revealing. Well, I'm sure there are 90s kids out there who will not find the greeting outdated.

We're halfway through the epistolary! I dedicate letter 10 to my dreadlocks which I've been growing for the past decade. The plan was to actually do this back in September but life happened. We're here now and I'd like to use today to go down memory lane. 



I can imagine that, especially for people who have just recently met me, it is hard to imagine me without my locks. They've low key become part of my "look". I guess it's one of those features that people cling on to. I've been given descriptions from "uRasta we yellowbone" (The light skinned Rastafarian) to "that chick with dreads" to "Linda with the good hair". I used to hate being called Rasta. Not sure what it really was. I guess it unsettled me because Rastafarian women cover their dreadlocks and it's something sacred for them. I guess I felt like an imposter everytime someone called me that. It was also never someone who was actually Rastafarian. Greetings from them always come with a certain warmth and I always feel like they have a deep appreciation of the significance of the hair. If I could read minds, I bet they wish I had enlightenment.

The past 10 years has been quite interesting. I remember how I looked like I had worms on my head in the beginning. Hated everything about this stage. Especially the lack of creativity in the generic hairstyles. The most memorable, and by far dramatic, experience was when I got  arrested while doing my hair. That was a horrific experience, I tell you, but I walked away with street cred. That and how people easily offer me stuff or assume that I use. Let's not talk about how security questions are read really slow at the airport. Just in case.

I'm fortunate to be surrounded by people who know that complimenting my hair and bashing women who prefer weaves in the same breath makes me cringe. I love my crown. It's easy to manage. One of the things I hardly worried about when salons were closed. Very cost effective. No admin at all. Yes, it speaks volumes about identity and culture. I don't just let anyone touch or treat it. I'm deeply rooted but on most days I'm just on that India Arie tip: I am not my hair.

Today I'm looking back at the many times when I wanted to cut it. Thankful that I didn't because I'm enjoying their current length. Just not when they're wet and need to dry. Almost 90% of people who ask about my hair ask how long I've had it. The looks on their faces after I respond are always priceless. Rome wasn't built in one day and starting afresh isn't always bad.

Yes, this has got nothing to do with you 2020. Not everything is about you. Rest! 

2 comments:

  1. Omg! I feel I need to know the arrest story more๐Ÿ™ˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never told you about it? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

      Here is the story: http://www.thejournalist.org.za/kau-kauru/a-really-bad-hair-day-arrested-in-the-hairdresser/

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam