Thursday 17 December 2020

Letter 6/20

 Dear 2020


There's a meme that I've once seen where someone was saying that we shouldn't forget to give credit after hating. So 2020, even if you've been the crapiest, you've dished out some wins shame. 




One of my favourite wins was being featured in the inaugural compilation titled “Women’s Words: Experiences and Realities”. The project, put together by The African Dialogue, collected voices from women across Africa. It was such an exciting project. Bylines don't just come by these days. I'm no longer working as a journalist and it's been a dry season there by academia. When you get the time, send prayers family. Those streets are rough!

I didn't know about the organisation at all. I was plugged by someone. It wasn't the first time that the someone in particular plugged me. I met him at a conference before joining university. He plugged me to join a student association. I did. Even went on to become a national executive member. He was amongst the tribe supporting me. After alerting me that I've made publication he told me how he knew I was perfect for it. Then it dawned on me: "I am because you" isn't some lame proverb that our people hold dear. It gives life to so many things.

2020, even in the midst of your crappy experiences you've brought amazing moments. You've reminded me to value the importance of supporting others and walking their journeys with them. You've made me aware that showing up when days are grey makes the rainbows of celebration look brighter. You've made me grateful for my tribe which remains in my corner even on days when I don't feel like showing up. You've reminded me just how much I am because they are. Camagu!

Read my piece and lots more amazing others from the compilation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam