Saturday 26 December 2020

Letter 15/20

 Hello 2020


It's your last Saturday!

I normally do the playlist on the last Friday but Christmas ended up taking over that. So here we are.

We've already established that home girl has two left feet ne? So let's not dwell on that on this letter. Let's focus, rather, on her love for music. I love music. All genres. I must say that country and choral are my least favourite. It doesn't help much that most of my faves are so into these genres. I blame my beef with country on my mother. Yhooo. She would repeat songs so much that, yes, if the artist could they'd ask for water. Then she'll expect all of us to sing along. In retrospect, I was too young to understand the lyrics. What did I know about anchors and troubled winds?

The beef with choral is very personal. So I grew up in a community where choral music is part of life. Choral competitions and concerts were also a big thing. The concerts I'm talking about also double up as entertainment fundraisers slash auctions. So people can stop the performance, at any given time, using money to make requests or comments. Money talks during these request stops. So the highest "bidder" gets the final word. I used to dread these moments. It took forever for me to get the movements right and I had stage fright. Yikes. Bottom line, maybe the world could be a better place with less choral music? Yes? No? I have no beef with all the other genres. Those can stay. 




The playlist is just a collection of songs that have tugged at my heart strings and made me dance. They've given me joy, peace, taken me to places I'd been and made me just believe in the magic of life. I love them for different reasons. The messages and stories they convey, the memories they hold and the conversations they remind me of. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who associate people with songs and memories. 

Before I share my 2020 list, I'd like to make a major shout out to Jerusalema. It was on my 2019 playlist and it's grown big. Well done to Nomcebo and Master KG! 

Without further ado, and in no particular order, here is my 2020 playlist:

  1. Ubomi Abumanga - Sun-El Musician ft. Msaki 
    My ultimate "life goes on" pick me up for 2020. Didn't get it at first but when I did, it knocked me to my knees. This is for everyone who had major blows and Ls this year - the sun will shine. Ubomi abumanga! 

  2. Ke Star - Focalistic ft. Vigro Deep
    I STILL don't know the actual lyrics to this song. I've made peace with the fact that I don't want to. I always pray it doesn't play in public because I might just be brave only to end up regretting it. Oksalayo: yho yho yho yho yho yhoooo!

  3. Ntandane - Vusi Nova ft. Somizi
    LOVE. LOVE. LOVE this rendition! I'm obsessed with just how much the past is still breathing. I love what they've done with the song. The message still holds, thank you to our care-givers for the tough love lessons. They've really molded us. To those who've passed, your love lives within us in ways we can only imagine.

  4. Molo - Aubrey Qwana
    This has been a very tough year on friendships. I've sadly lost a few. Reconnected with childhood and varsity friends. I've also come to appreciate the ones I have remaining. All I can say is, appreciate every moment. Also, "ngibonga abangasekho. Ngibong' idlozi lami". I'm so thankful to those who came before me.

  5. Imali eningi - Big Zulu ft. Intaba Yase Dubai Ricky Rick
    In South Africa there's this long standing stereotype that Xhosa women love money and are the ultimate gold diggers. Let's just say that this song was the ultimate revealer. Turns out, MOST of us want the same thing. I'm still waiting for people who want stones to put their hands up. Thank you, Big Zulu. Ngiyabonga Nkabi!  P.s low key wouldn't mind doing the #DuduzaneChallenge!

  6. Mamela - Mi Casa
    Another magical piece from Mi Casa! LOVE everything about this track. It gives me butterflies...Need I say more? 

  7. Ngibambe la - Mthunzi ft. Claudio & Kenza
    This song just summarises one of my favourite days in 2020. Golden memories...

  8. Ndikhokhele Remix - Jub Jub & the greats
    What a beautiful song. Absolutely love jamming and praying to it. Dear God...

  9. Obani lababantu - RIP GeeSixFive
    Firslty, this song is dedicated to friends of mine who believed this song defined their 2020. Secondly, our dreams are valid. Lastly, who are these people?!

  10. Di Boya Limpopo - Master KG ft. Zanda Zakuza & Makhadzi
    I've always loved Makhadzi. I remember years back when I was asking my friend why she hasn't blown up. I'm loving her blow up and I'm here for her rise. This track is a hot one. Absolutely magic!

There are two songs that didn't make it here. I'll probably get grilled for them but...I'll take the blows later. In the meantime, enjoy the playlist...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam