Saturday 14 December 2019

Letter 2 of 19

Hello 2019,

Don't worry. I don't feel like throwing jabs at you today. I come in peace, and gratitude, for a very valuable lesson you've taught me about self-love/ self-care. 

I never really knew how to navigate through having phobias or weird quirks while growing up. Being raised in a communal community also meant that there wasn't much room for such. Especially ones that nobody else had or even understood. I had a couple of these. For years I've only kept them within my immediate family. I didn't want to be singled out as "that child who does/ doesn't etc". One of them was how I was picky about which chicken portions I ate and which ones I couldn't stomach. This revelation may lose me hectic street cred. So I'll only mention one for the sake of this post. 


Two words: chicken wings. Yes, it's one of my weird food quirks. I bet you're wondering how. Well, I've avoided eating wings for the longest time. Even though I enjoy them, or some parts of them at least. There's a portion of them that I always leave behind. Weird, right? Trust me, I know. As a result, I eat them so awkwardly. I even avoid eating them in public because of the odd stares. I liken this to how we feel about some "portions" of ourselves. We love ourselves so much but sometimes, we leave certain things out. 2019, you've made me realise this in such a unique way. 

I noticed this year that I'm selfless to a fault. I'm almost always in a "care for others" mode that I sometimes neglect to take care of myself first. In my case, if love was the chicken wing, then self-love is the section that I leave behind. I used to be so quick to give out love, support and care to others without hesitation. I hardly ever paused to think what that would mean to me. I guess, for a lack of better words, this year I noticed how much I burn myself to make others warm. I did most of this at the expense of self-love and self-care.

I'm not sure what triggered this perspective shift. Maybe I'm not ready to confront the roots of my introspection on this platform. What I can say is that something shifted inside and it changed, and continues to shift, the way I do things. No, I'm not turning into a cold and selfish ice queen. I'm just learning to navigate these streets in a different way. 

In a previous post, the Thinking out loud reflection piece to be more specific, I shared how grateful I am for the day I inserted "self-love" every time I saw "love" in 1 Corinthians 13. I didn't break it down back then but I was referring specifically to verse 4 - 7. Since February this year, I've read those verses to myself like this:

"Self-love is patient and kind. Self-love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Self-love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." - Adapted from NLT version 

We live in a world which almost conditions us to neglect ourselves. I'm learning every day how much we need to be more patient with ourselves. We need to treat ourselves with gentle kindness before we even extend it to others. We need to understand that putting ourselves first, drawing boundaries and being unapologetic about them isn't rude. It is a need.

2019, you've taught me how to treat self-love like my favourite portion of chicken. Thank you for this lesson...



15 comments:

  1. Patriarch: when I realized that the people I bend over backwards for only lean forward for me, was when I started to appreciate myself. Better late than never.

    Matriarch: I don't know why we have to learn the hardway.
    In 2020 I expect you to shout when you are in need, esp. with your health. Otherwise ke tlo o bolaisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here for team matriarch!

      Yho buddy, I'm hoping that I do exactly that myself. A letter is coming on that topic ne. Keep your eyes locked.

      Delete
  2. When love it self showed me flames, I had 1 Corinthians 13 to lean unto, but little did I know I could rewrite my 'love' story and call it 'self-love' story. Thank you for this lesson before goodbyes to 2019.

    ❤Keo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kea, I'm so sorry love showed you flames. Maratongfontein is a very complex place. I hope you're better.

      Self-love is so vital. I'm glad that I could share this lesson with you 🌸

      Delete
  3. Such a powerful letter. Self love and self care are important aspects of love towards others. We can't give others what we don't have ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wella. They are so important. It's very odd that we neglect them.

      Delete
  4. What a great piece, Linda. It perfectly sums up my "self-care-barometer" - thank you for sharing, it really hit hard, and I have a long way to go to show more compassion to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.

      All of us neglect this at times. You're not the only one. Be kind to yourself and you'll be there before you know it.

      Delete
  5. What a great piece, Linda. It perfectly sums up my "self-care-barometer" - thank you for sharing, it really hit hard, and I have a long way to go to show more compassion to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in tears. I don't want to say much but I'm in tears. Linda Fekisu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. Putting these together is such a challenging and emotional experience too. I chop onions from time to time too.

      Delete
  7. Dear Linda

    I am so shocked! I thought you could never go higher than the standard you set, on the first letter in terms writing. And I must say , I was incorrect. What you did with the wings was really amazing, you are a great writing 👏🏾.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you Molebogeng. I'm glad that you're still enjoying the letters.

      Delete
  8. As i leave behind the EX -ME ill this with me; " I'm learning every day how
    much we need to be more patient with
    ourselves. We need to treat ourselves with gentle
    kindness before we even extend it to others. We
    need to understand that putting ourselves first,
    drawing boundaries and being unapologetic about
    them isn't rude. It is a need."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewe Yondi. This also doesn't happen overnight. I learn every day that you need to forgive yourself on days when you forget to be kind to yourself, when you don't put yourself first and then your boundaries are crossed.

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam