Tuesday 31 December 2019

Letter 19 of 19

Ereng 24 hours mo ngwaneng?

I'm a big fan of countdowns. The end of the year countdown is one of the most exciting countdowns ever. If it could have a theme song for you 2019, it would definitely be the final countdown by Europe. That and the version that most South Africans think during those first few seconds of the song. I was in grade 1 when TKzee released Shibobo but I definitely remember singing along to it. I'll be singing it today. Only this time, Linda is in the 18th area...halakasha!

  

This final letter of the series wraps up my themes for 2019. I've already touched on Isaiah 60:22 and Fireworks so today I'd like to close off with gratitude.

The thing about gratitude is that it's like oxygen. You don't see it and you barely notice its importance but you can't live without it. This year I learnt that in order for me to have balance I needed to inhale gratitude and exhale all things negative. Being grounded in gratitude this year has also made me aware of something. There's a "Look at God" or "God is great" narrative that we push strongly only when things are good or going our way. We brush it aside when things aren't going according to our own plans. I've learnt that being grateful shouldn't be seasonal. I guess, I didn't just look at what I'm grateful for in 2019. I find myself gazing back at the entire decade as if a slideshow is playing in front of me.

I remember jamming to I got a feeling by Black Eyed Peas towards the end of 2009. I was spot on about that feeling. This past decade has been amazing. It has been filled with grace and adventure. I've met incredible people and I've seen the world from the perspective of others. I've learnt so much and also got to discover just how much I needed to unlearn. I haven't always been grateful and that's okay. I'm grateful now and that's all that matters.

As you take your final breaths 2019 I'd like to mediate on my final countdown song.

My final countdown song isn't about a famous musician leading a soccer team into victory. Neither is it about how humanity has made the planet inhabitable. My final countdown song is about me bidding farewell to all parts of me that I've outgrown. Gently. My final countdown song is the anticipation of remaining true to my journey of healing and self love.

You've been a pain 2019 but you've also been quite an eye opening ride. You've punched me outside of my comfort zone. You've shown me mercy and grace. Thank you for teaching me self love and self kindness.

I'll make the most of today because I can't wait for you to end.  Oh and before I forget,  2019, thank you for life and her lessons...

Regards

Linda 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam