Friday 27 December 2019

Letter 15 of 19

Awe 2019!

It's your last Friday. Awe! Today I'd like to think back to all the times when I jammed and hit the dance floor. Even if the circle was made up of furniture and books instead of cheers from onlookers. The things is, you see, when the good Lord was handing out the gift of dancing he decided to just give me a sprinkle. That sprinkle, I should add, is what separates me from poles and any other objects that can't move. I've made peace with this.

By that I mean I dance at every opportunity I get in private. I rarely do in public. I was a bridesmaid at the Lerapeleng wedding. In South African wedding tradition this automatically makes you part of the wedding step (dance routine) squad. I can't tell you how many deep breaths I took to sail through this smoothly. One of my accomplishments this year is surviving it without tripping and falling. I'm your typical onlooker who sings along and passes on the cheers.

Despite my limitations to dominate the dance floor, I really love music. It's another language that just personifies art and it's timeless. I use songs in my every day speech to express myself. From Mdu's Mazolo for when I gibela phez' kwendlu "getting on top of the roof" to share news and Mbongeni Ngema's Stimela to describe eCarlton Centre esdididini for all things "jam packed" to Pharrell's happy. And boy do I clap along like a room without a roof!



Without further ado my top 10, in no particular order is as follows:

10. Sho Madjozi - John Cena
9. Prince Kaybee ft. Msaki - Fetch your life
8. Master KG ft. Nomcebo - Jerusalem
7. TNS ft. Mpumi - Umona
6. Kabza de small ft. DJ Maphorisa - Nana Thula
5. Maqonqo ft. Dason & Saviour Gee - Eyadini
4. DJ Sunco ft. Queen Jenny - Koko Mmatswale
3. Semi Tee ft. Kammu Dee & Miano Labantwana ama Uber
2. Sun-El Musician ft. Ami Faku - Into ingawe
1. DJ Zintle ft. Mvzzle & Rethabile - Umlilo

My playlist selection is very subjective. I'll be the first to admit that there are songs that were fire that didn't make it to my top 10. It doesn't make them any less hot. I just needed 10 and I had to cut out.

Music is the best time travelling machine. I've played these songs so much that, if they could, it was like these artists would ask me for water. I didn't even notice it while I was doing it because I was deep within my thoughts. That or just being purely lost in the joy of the lyrics. John Cena is the ultimate triumph song of the year. I absolutely love how Sho Madjozi personified our childhood memories and got to live her dream.

There are songs on this play list like Umlilo, Jerusalem and Into ingawe that were part of my praise and worship sessions. I jammed to them on days when I asked God for strength to live through some days. I cried to them on days when I felt overwhelmed. I danced to them on days when I counted my blessings.

Some songs are those ones that got stuck and I couldn't get them out of my system. I couldn't beat other people listening to them and I just ended up being a member of the WhatsApp group.

Eyadini was the theme song for the wedding. Every time it plays I get flashbacks to rehearsals and the actual dances at both wedding. That wedding was so lit guys. My mom still can't get over how the bride and groom have mad dancing skills.

Fetch your life was undoubtedly my fight song for 2019. It's beautiful. It pumped me up before presentations, public speeches and all things that needed extrovert me to take control. It hushed me down when I was chasing deadlines, when I felt overwhelmed and when I didn't feel like I was in alignment with my dreams. I had to remind myself that I had to be someone who's living.

Then there's the thing on everyone else's mind. Which song is going to break us into the new year? I've already made up my mind which song I'm transitioning into 2020 with. It's Nana Thula. There was a call on social media for the DJ to play it for all victims of gender based violence. I'm all for this. Living in a femicide capital does something to you as a woman. The pain is very universal. #AmINext isn't just a hashtag. My heart goes out to families, victims and survivors.

I'll also be playing this for people who went through the most this year. Especially those things that we can't talk about. We need to dry those tears and dance those heartaches away...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam