Thursday 26 December 2019

Letter 14 of 19

Hello 2019,

Today is another public holiday in South Africa. Yes. We are blessed with them especially in December. The public holiday today is called the Day of Goodwill, formerly known as Boxing Day.


I was today years old when I discovered the intention for the day. So apparently "boxing" was when the rich gave gifts to their servants in boxes and they could take the day off. In my country it basically means the same thing but in a "rainbow" context. Ssh...semantics matter than the lived experience here.

Honestly, I used to think that boxing day had something to do with the sport. Made sense.  A Facebook memory reminded me how I asked people if they would punch someone given the opportunity. Almost everyone agreed. Except for a few who questioned our capabilities of doing such. I'm finding all this so hilarious. Even more so because a part of me will always think of today in that context.

Remember I told you how my immune system doesn't have timing? It struck. Again. The punch came yesterday. The way things were, it was definitely an upper cut. I got up early for the Christmas lunch preparations but these were cut short by that TKO. I spent most of the day in bed feeling like a stranger inside my own body. I still do but I've learnt to soldier on.

This morning I actually want to admit that I don't get the lesson behind my health woes. I get that things could be worse. I'd just definitely trade my immune system for a better one. It's annoying and exhausting. Im tired. Maybe the lesson is that bad days are equally important as good ones.

I'm always hesitant to draft up wish lists for the coming year but I can't help it. In 2020 I'm praying for less consultations, prescriptions and having to endure side effects...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam