Monday 17 December 2018

Letter four of eighteen

Good morning 2018,

You know Monday is my least favourite day of the week right? Guess what? You amplified that! 

I’ve disliked Monday for as long as I can remember. Can’t exactly pinpoint since when exactly though. It wasn’t back in my early years at school though. I was so mischievous back then. There was a point in primary where I’d be in one class but there was always room for me in the other class from time to time. I remember in Grade 4 I used to be taken to the B class when my register teacher had run out of options with me. I’d be as silent as a mouse on the first day but this didn’t last. I'd eventually start chatting and making friends in no time. She’d then take me back immediately after noticing this. This cycle would go on for a while. I had mastered the art of “adapt or die” and I wasn’t even aware of it. Even though I was a problem child in school during the time, I enjoyed going there. Back then Friday was my least favourite day. Things have changed though. Vastly. Hugely. Immensely!  Right now every Monday I join the struggle to “adapt”. 

I don’t know about everyone who doesn’t have English as a first language but there are expressions in this tongue that my system just refuses to accept. There are tons but one of the most absurd for me is “Blue Monday”. Really?! It ends there? Two letters and then that’s it? Qha? No ways! “Blue Monday” doesn’t even begin to justify the torture that is this day. No ways. I question so many things about this expression. If it were up to me, I’d call it Mini uyakrhakrha! This loosely translates to “day, you are sour!” I’m convinced there’s a better expression in Pidgin. I should find it lol. 

On a serious note, most of your Mondays were the pits! Surviving them, and many more sour days, are one of the reasons why I feel like I deserve a t-shirt written I survived 2018. I still have two more weeks to go with you in order to qualify. 

I’ve disliked most of your Monday’s because you’ve felt, for the most part, like a 6 working days week. Friday’s had the tendency of acting like deputy Thursday’s. This meant that by the time the Friday feeling kicked in my head was already on the pillow. I’d finish off work on Saturday, try to run errands here or attend functions. I kept Sunday’s sacred as much as I could. Mass, chilling and going on occasional dates with my friends. Those were epic. It wouldn’t be long, however, when the reality of you kicked in and I would have to face Monday. Monday who, mostly, reminded me how exhausted I was. Yhu! 

One of the things I’ve discovered this year is that I am one of those people who chronically suffer to “Monday”. How ironic is it that your last day is on a Monday? Better behave 2018. You had better behave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam