Friday 28 December 2018

Letter fifteen of eighteen

Heita 2018!

It’s your last Friyay! YAY! 

Today I’m reflecting on the music which moved and inspired me this year. Below are songs I’ve listened to over and over. They carry so many precious memories of my experiences with you 2018. They’ve played at weddings, during chill sessions with friends and they’ve dominated the airwaves of my heartstrings! 

Music is one of life’s magical gifts to us. Not only do the lyrics entertain you but they also carry so much emotional weight. 

10. Mafikizolo – Love Potion 
9.  DJ Ganyani ft. Nomcebo – Emazulwini 
8. Master KG ft. – Skeleton Move
7. Abathandwa – Umoya wami uyavuma
6. Mlindo The Vocalist ft Sjava – Egoli 
5. NaakMusiq ft. Bucie - Ntombi
4. Vusi Nova – As’phelelanga 
3. DJ Sumbody & others – Monate Mpolaye 
2. Prince Kaybee ft. Busiswa – Banomoya 
1. King Monada – Malwedhe 

2018, you know the tons of stories behind these jams. I’ve turned a blind eye to my lack of rhythm when these songs came on. I’ve flexed my best vosho, head vosho and Thuso Phala dance moves. You name it! To everyone who knows me, yes…most of this happens while I’m all alone. Lol. To everyone who doesn’t, let’s all pretend like I’m the slickest dancer you know lol.

Friyay mood aside, these tracks are art pieces. To say the least. They’ve d
I don’t know which song will take song will take the song of the year. My guess is that various radio stations will make their unique selections. This whole song of the year confusion is an interesting thing for me. Back in the day, everyone knew that Brenda Fassie would take it. Now, it’s fair game. The trophy floats around for people who have different music taste buds.

For me, King Monada takes it for so many reasons. Malwedhe, for me, is to the South African music scene what Black Panther was to Marvel and what Crazy Rich Indians was to Hollywood. It is more than just hype after a few videos went viral. It’s more than just representation or an entire country moving in one motion. The success of this song, for me, represents a player’s presence being acknowledged by other players inside the room.

As you know, 2018, this speaks to so many things. 

During you, I’ve witnessed the rise of so many incredible works of musicians, poets, authors and activists. I’ve seen peers, elders and even young people step up and shake the status quo. This year, there have been so many instances where it was as if I was standing in a garden and I had the opportunity to watch flowers bloom first hand. Flowers blossom and butterflies spread their wings for the first time. I’ve seen women stand up to patriarchy and toxic femininity, I’ve seen people grow into themselves and become unapologetic about who they were. I’ve seen rape survivors reclaim their power, I’ve seen depression and mental health awareness rise and I’ve seen brave people go for their dreams.

Today as I remember and reflect on all this I’m jamming to the playlist, and many more, to bid you farewell on your last Friday…

4 comments:

  1. Wow,didn't know you can get down like that,Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I do. Maybe one of these I will actually upload a video of me getting down...jokes lol

      Delete
  2. I just read all your letters today and i enjoyed them all. Waiting for the next one......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nyawa. Thank you so much dear. I'm glad that you have been enjoying them :)

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam