Wednesday 26 December 2018

Letter thirteen of eighteen

Hello 2018,

Today is to all the fights we’ve had.

We used to call this day Boxing day in South Africa. It’s a public holiday that is now referred to as Day of Goodwill. Honestly, I still think of it as Boxing day. So, my thoughts today are about the times when you and I were in the boxing ring.

I hardly watch boxing. The times I’ve caught glimpses of it I have always been fascinated by the manner in which the two opponents go at each other to the bitter end. Our time together this year resemble some of those fights which I’ve seen.

There were times when I felt like a boss, and I felt like I was stepping into the ring while the commentator is announcing me. Nothing fancy. No. “, Linda, coming in from the streets of life, weighing 44 Kg, is known for her smile and being resilient”. This would be said while my song, a mixture of Impi, World’s greatest and Eye of the tiger are playing. Lol, yes, I have a wild imagination. I’d stand in my corner and watch you come in. “2018, nicknamed year of terror, is known for her ability to suffocate anything in her way. She’s kind and mean at the same time. She prefers her weight to remain a mystery”. You’d step into the ring and the battle would begin…

You know very well which battles we’ve had. You know why I’ve cried, felt scared or just became angry. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am capable of the emotion. Lol. I think this is what everyone goes through from time to time. We all fight inner wars which we keep to ourselves and “life” one. That is why we need to be kind to each other at all times. That and being considerate.

Not all fights with you have been bad. No. There was this time when you knocked insecurity, fear and a lack of confidence right out of my system. There were times when you forced me out of bed on days when I felt like snoozing and staying in dreamland for longer. There were times when you made my faith stronger especially because it was tested countless times this year. 

Then there were times when you were just extra. You took cheap blows and you just made the most out of my shortcomings.  2018, your uppercuts have left me scars and bruises but let’s be honest, I also gave you a few blows! Oh, you know. Like that time when I muted “bazothini abantu” when I listened to what my system needed and when I just decided to be regardless of toxic spaces. Let us not forget all the times when I chose myself.

As we draw closer to your end, I’m slightly bouncing inside this ring. Left, right and then left again. I’ve got my two fists in the air and I’m protecting my face. I’m waiting for the referee, Father Time, to ring the bell and call this match over…

No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam