Thursday 20 December 2018

Letter seven of eighteen

Hello 2018,

You’ve taught me thankfulness. 

I’m back home. Your letter is a bit late because time zones work slightly different around here. What do I mean? Well, 6 am is considered broad daylight. Being busy with anything other than chores, for the most part of the “day”, is similar to committing treason and signing a death warrant. 

While I was busy with chores my nephew, aka deputy supervisor, and I said the exact same thing at the same time. “Touch white. Luck’s mine” I exclaimed and jumped to touch the first white thing I saw. You want to know what he said? “Jinx”. “Jinx” and then he looked at me with astonishment over what I had just done. Needless to say, we spent the next following minutes going back and forth, cracking up, over what jinx and touch white means. This child makes me feel old!

2018, today I am filled with gratitude.

So many amazing things happened this year. Not only in my own life but also in the lives of my family members, friends and colleague’s lives. 

Everyone who knows me on a personal level knows how obsessed I am with dreams. Big dreams. Small dreams. Wild dreams. Anything one sets their mind on to and actually dares to achieve. I’m there to validate. I’m like a constant cheerleader for people to constantly dream and have faith in their dreams. I guess I’m wired up this way because I’m a dreamer myself. I'm such a dreamer that I co-founded a non-profit organisation which rallies behind dreams.

I got a front row seat to so many dreams realised this year. Bursaries awarded, graduations, weddings, new births, new jobs, winning awards, buying cars, new houses…the list is endless. It’s been beautiful and inspiring to watch. So much because, for most of these, you’re there during the inception of those dreams and you pray to God to grant them true. You’re also there on days when people felt like throwing in the towel and giving in to adversity. Seeing them win brings so much joy! 

You know the biggest argument between pessimists and optimists over the water in the glass? It’s half full, on the one hand, it’s half empty on the other. I’ve shifted between these two spaces before but this year I was just mostly thankful that there is water in the glass.
I owe the dark days, when serenity levels were low, a huge kiss on the forehead for this. If it hadn’t been for them, I wouldn’t be this appreciative of each and every ray of light.

2018, I’m thankful for the new beginnings you’ve presented. I’m thankful for the chapters you’ve closed, the new ones you’ve opened and those old ones where the plot continues to thicken. I’m thankful for every aura and scent, for every discovery and encounter.

I’m always wary of daydreaming, excuse the pun, about the next year prematurely. I say prematurely because I think I need to reflect on the lessons before moving on but, I do hope that I do not lose sight of this in 2019. May I never lose sight of gratitude…

2 comments:

  1. This is powerful Linda. I love your letter. Let's be grateful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ndinotenda zvikuru Welcome. I hope you enjoy the remaining reads.

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam