Thursday 29 December 2022

Letter 12 of 22: My Stan list

Hello 2022, 

Are you well this morning?

It’s that time of the year when I give flowers where they’re due. This top 10 used to be for music only. Not this year. It seems like we've been tweaking tradition so, why stop now?  I’d just like to have a potjie of creatives who I stan and explain why…



Let's begin with the songs. For some odd reason, I wasn't following much this year. These ones, however, did the things with the pots for me.

K.O - Sete ft. Young Stunna, Blxckie

What's there not to like about this song? Like it, love it, absolutely obsessed with it! Enjoy the lyrics, the melodies, and just how beautiful love songs can be. 

Senior Oat - All in you ft. Kemy Chienda

This song took me to church and groove! I've danced to it with my best moves. Yes, the ones we can all agree that I have. I have included it as part of my praise and worship. I also remember humming to it during one of my most favourable moments of this year. Truly a work of art. 

John Legend - Nervous (Mthandazo Gatya verse)

I have all the love and respect for John but, this tribute goes out to Mthandazo and what he did to that open verse. Yhoooo. What he did can't be undone. I had goosies listening it. Wow! What a talent. It was extra special to watch him get the opportunity to perform with John. I've always admired the glow of Mthandazo's star. May it continue to rise. 

Luxury SA - Crazy Vibez

Heyi! There's always that one song each year that brings out the "yaaaas" in you. 2022, this has been that song for me! This is that song whose name you don't know. The song you hear and can't even tell people about it. The song which comes on and cheers you up. Definitely worth a stan! 

This song actually brings me to a new category on my stan list. TikTokers! So, I joined TikTok this year (@lindafekisi). Not as active but, I'm enjoying those streets. The creativity is off the hook, content is hilarious and informative at the same time. I'm liking it there and I can't help but not stan these creatives. Disclaimer: There are so many others, I just had to stick to 3. 

@Nathanmolefe - First of all, thiza Bontjies! I have no words for you lol. I like Nathan's creativity, how he rocks his dance moves and his hilarious content. My favourite video to date is the "keo rekele dikuku" one. Basically becase it sums up how I felt about Crazy Vibez. 

@Ndile_Thandile - This account brings out the nerd in me a bit. Enjoy the creative content and how it incorporates intercultural elements. I see a lot of people using content here as part of their academic material. Continue doing your thing Bafo.

@Smokeymirror_- Heyi. iNtombi! The girl who does the things. My fighter. What a creative creator. I crack up every time I come across his content. I’m a bit worried about the viyolence bo mogirl like to display but, absolutely love the storylines. 

My last three spots on the stan list go to movies and telenovelas/ dramas and series. 

The Wife

Firstly, now I know the difference between “based on” and “inspired by”. Took a few seasons and being in a toxic relationship with Showmax but, I can safely say that I’ve made the distinction. I may have a few things to critique but, nothing compares to the heat brought by the cast of this drama. They. Are. Talent. Personified. Hats off and a standing ovation to each of them from bringing life to their characters and giving us a place called home…

The Women King 

Again, much can be said about the politics surrounding historical context inspiring this movie. I’m not there. Where I am is just how it was amazing to watch it. I was hooked from the beginning right up until the end. The cast is so talented. I’m tempted to mention names, I’ll resist that urge. It was just amazing to see the entire production come together. Hats off…

How to ruin Christmas

Let’s bend tradition once more.

I haven’t seen the latest but, I’m going into it clapping and giving it popcorn from the trailer. Saw the return of some of my favourites and I can’t wait. Dear Busi, you will be missed…


No comments:

Post a Comment

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam