Saturday 10 December 2022

Letter 1 of 22: The Nile

 Dear 2022,


I hope that this letter finds you well. It serves to kick off the long standing tradition of reflective letters I contribute each year.



A point of order before I begin my reflection. This year, things will be a bit different. I'm only writing a dozen letters to you. The rest will come from the circle of friends who have been walking this journey with me. That being said, I thought I'd kick start today with a trend I picked up on your timeline.

The Nile is a long river in Egypt.

I think I was in primary school when I first heard that phrase. I don't remember the teacher who shared it but, I do recall the point she was driving across. Made perfect sense back in the day. "Deny everything" was a go to in Primary. If you didn't catch my hands in the jar - it wasn't me.

Adulting has, of course, brought about a different dimension of what denial is, what it means and how one navigates those dynamics.

2022, your timeline has been a constant reminder that the Nile is a long river in Egypt. I've lost count of the number of times you dealt me cards that forced me to face things as they were instead of how I wanted them to be. What an uncomfortable position...

This uncomfortable lesson has crept up in a few areas. I guess that biggest one being that there is no escaping the adulting gig. It's the biggest scam and it only gets trickier - unless you stop being in denial. What a difficulty.

Confronting the denial of being an empath has been both exhausting and liberating. Confronting the denial that people are not who they present themselves to be or a dealing with their own denials has been messy. Confronting the denial that adulting comes with growing pains...now that is where the danger is...

2 comments:

  1. As much as denial is an unhealthy coping mechanism, it is at times very necessary and useful. It affords breathing space; it is like a bridge to reach the inevitable challenges of life.
    Growing pains are a part of every stage of life, naturally they would be a part of adulthood. The danger lies in denying that the route that you're on has already been traveled by others and refusing to learn from their experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. It comes in as such a useful coping mechanism...until you have you accept things as they are. Yho.

      Your last point...hectic.

      Delete

#LifeAndHerLessons (LAHL) Fam